This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
And just like that, Week 1 of the 2021 NFL season is in the books. Before we turn our attention to the matches in week 2 – and dismiss losses in week 1 as completely insignificant (until they return to haunted teams struggling to sneak into the off-season) – let’s look at what was said.
From the fun drive of the New Orleans Saints ‘QB1 Jameis Winston’s big outing to Mac Jones’ unintentional approval of The Patriot Way, here are 10 of the most memorable quotes from Week 1:
Jameis explains the huge victory of the Saints in week 1
Lewan holds himself accountable
“Got my a– kicked today, no way around it. I let the team and the fans down. Thank you Chandler Jones for revealing me. It will only force me to get better.”
JJ Watt wants his brother to pay up after a $ 112 million 4-year extension
.@_TJWatt should I send these outstanding IOUs to your accountant, or will you just venmo me?
– JJ Watt (@JJWatt) September 9, 2021
Gruden lives more lives in the Raiders’ OT walk-off victory
“I felt like I was dying and waking up and dying again and I was like a cat, I had more lives tonight. I don’t like playing like that. It was hard, but again we did a lot of good things to win it. fight tonight. “
– Las Vegas Raiders Jon Gruden After Winning an OT Thriller Against the Baltimore Ravens on Monday Night Football
Jones is a student of The Patriot Way
Mac Jones on why he did not accept the ball after throwing his first TD pass of his career: “It does not really matter. It’s just a touchdown. We have to score more. It’s not like the match was over there. We must do better in the red zone and get more touchdowns. And we will. ” https://t.co/7jnkLNnSBD
– Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) September 13, 2021
Ramsey really keeps it on Rams D
“We have no revenue chain or anything. I mean we get paid to do this, you know what I mean? We get checks!”
– Jalen Ramsey on what motivates the elite Los Angeles Ram’s defense
Vikings to the line
Zimmer on how he can stress cleaning up penalties in practice: “I can run them. If they jump offsides, I can run them. So I’ve done it before. It would not surprise me to do it again because if they start making them, then I get angry. “
– Courtney Cronin (@CourtneyRCronin) September 15, 2021
Dream comes true for Heinicke
“It’s something I’ve dreamed of all my life, being a starting quarterback in the NFL.
– Taylor Heinicke on the possibility of starting for the Washington Football Team after Ryan Fitzpatrick suffered an injury to the Los Angeles Chargers
Saints or AFC Richmond?
Saints Payter Sean Payton said the positive COVID tests are mostly offensive coaches. So he and OC Pete Carmichael Jr., QB coach Ronald Curry and o-line coach Zach Strief feel like “Ted Lasso” with only 3 or 4 of them. … Others have done what they can from hotel rooms.
– Mike Triplett (@MikeTriplett) September 15, 2021
Vrabel sounds from Julio’s unnecessary aggravated punishment
“Critical error. It’s definitely not something we train or teach. It would fall into the category of doing stupid s — it hurts the team. Right there in bold.”
– Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Vrabel on Julio Jones’ personal mistake that resulted in a 3rd and a 3rd and 16th in their loss to the Arizona Cardinals