Veteran Brazilian defender reveals all about Liverpool’s failed January offer

This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”


Experienced Lyon defender Marcelo has detailed how Liverpool approached signing him in January, and explained why his move was rejected.

Injuries to Joe Gomez, Virgil van Dijk and then Joel Matip have left Liverpool light on defense this season. Since then, those problems have worsened after Substitutes Jordan Henderson and Fabinho also fell under the curse of injury..

The Reds, of course, moved to sign Ozan Kabak and Ben Davies on the transfer deadline day for relieve those isses. Kabak has had a nonchalant start in the Reds’ first team; impressing against Leipzig, but Richarlison caught him cold on Saturday.

Indeed, reports have circulated that Kabak may not have been Liverpool’s first choice. In fact both Duje Caleta-Car of Marseille and David Carmo de Braga were the subject of a failed move by Liverpool.

Now a third player, Lyon’s Brazilian defender Marcelo, 33, also claimed he turned down a January approach from the Reds.

The veteran star has been with Lyon since 2017 and has been the foundation of their drive for the Ligue 1 title this season.

Indeed, Marcelo cited his drive for glory, as well as the fact that he feels happy in France, as two factors behind Liverpool’s failed gamble.

“Liverpool? My agent spoke to them, but I feel good here. My dream is to win the championship with Lyon,” he said. Channel +.


Sign up for the free daily TEAMtalk newsletter …


Neville claims Klopp can change methods

Gary Neville, meanwhile, has questioned whether Jurgen Klopp is beginning to consider a change in his training methods, amid Liverpool’s recent crash.

While many have supported Klopp to turn the tables around, Neville admitted that concerns have started to mount and could leak managerown thought.

“It’s starting to get a little worrying in the sense that we know they have injuries, we know they have no fans in the stadium, we know about COVID and there are a lot of games, but it’s the same for everyone,” Neville. He told his Sky sports podcast.

“But it is the lack of change. A different idea. They look defeated, almost like zombies on the field. Walking thinking the same thing.

“Maybe you need something different from Klopp? He’s just been indisputable and he’s still at Liverpool, but even he might be thinking now: ‘do I have to do something different?’

“It is not up to me to advise Liverpool or Klopp what to do, but to play an area to protect their centers or maybe go to three in the back. We have seen other teams go to that system. “

READ MORE: Sadio Mane ready to make an ‘important investment’ in the French club




Source link

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: