This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Liverpool midfielder Naby Keita has returned to training but will not be ready to take part in the Champions League clash with RB Leipzig on Tuesday night.
The Guinean international has been out since the December 7-0 defeat at Crystal Palace and has struggled to shed injuries overall during his time at Anfield, a total of 71 times in three seasons.
Ahead of the first leg of the round of 16 with Bundesliga Leipzig, Klopp revealed that Keita will stay in England and train instead of traveling to face his former team.
Said, quoted by Liverpool’s website: “Naby is no longer injured, but he’s not fit yet.
“He was training yesterday, but it is still not enough. We will be away for two days and he will be training; it is better than flying with us. Of course Naby would have liked to be there when it is against Leipzig.”
Klopp further commented on Keita’s injury history, which has restricted the midfielder’s impact on Merseyside, supporting his performances since he joined the club in 2018.
He added: “He has had some very good moments, but obviously it has to be said that he has also had too many injuries, which has not helped much. But he has played very good games for us and scored important goals, he has contributed to our success last year; he was always involved despite injuries.
“These were unfortunate moments when you look at his injuries, they were just minor things [ruled] him off the team. But he has an excellent perspective and is a great player.
“In terms of injuries, we all have to go through these difficulties and once that is behind you, we will have another absolutely great player.”