This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Atletico Madrid and England defender Kieran Trippier has been suspended for 10 weeks and fined £ 70,000 for violating betting rules, the Football Association announced.
The 30 year old The worldwide ban on all soccer and soccer-related activities runs until February 28.
Trippier denied the charges, first made in May, and had a personal hearing in October.
However, the FA said that four of the seven alleged violations had been proven and another three had been dismissed.
A spokesman for the FA said: “The Atlético de Madrid defender denied seven alleged infractions of FA rule E8 (1) (b), which were said to have occurred during July 2019, and requested a personal audience.
An independent regulatory commission was appointed to hear the case, with four of the alleged breaches proven and three dismissed during a subsequent personal hearing.
“The written reasons of the independent regulatory commission for its decisions and the associated sanction will be published in due course.”
Trippier’s ban takes effect immediately.
The full-back played in Tuesday’s win over Real Sociedad, but now he won’t play for Atlético until after March 3.
That will mean that he will miss the first leg of Atlético’s Champions League clash with Chelsea, however he will be eligible for the second leg on March 17.
Just last week, reports in Spain claimed Manchester United were “pushing hard” to sign Kieran Trippier from Atlético.
However, it is noted that Atlético are in no rush to ditch Trippier, who has established himself as a key player for Diego Simeone this season.
Trippier has always been present for Atleti, which currently leads the League with two games in hand. Therefore, it would be difficult to push it away.
But that’s what United is trying to do, according to various sources. The Red Devils want to strengthen their options as a right back.
Trippier is an important target given he has plenty of Premier League experience from his time with Burnley and Tottenham. He would also offer a greater attacking threat than United’s current option Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
Thus, AS they say United is “pushing hard” on the side. However, Atlético has “cleared” the doubts they still had about the 30-year-old. Its not for sale.