This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Manchester City are counting the cost of the current financial climate and have slashed the budget allocated to lure Lionel Messi out of Barcelona.
The 33-year-old Barça captain could leave his childhood team in preseason 2021 after publicly trying, and failing, to force the Catalan club out last August.
A reunion with Pep Guardiola at Manchester City has been the subject of much speculation, but Messi may have to compromise to make the move happen as the bargaining power of the Premier League leaders has suffered.
MAIN STORY: THE CITY IS FORCED TO DROP THE MESSI CONTRACT OFFER
City had already submitted a five-year contract designed to tempt Messi to trade LaLiga for the Premier League, but the numbers have now changed, The Sun reports.
A £ 600 million (€ 693 million) package had reportedly been prepared to tie the six-time Ballon d’Or winner for the rest of his career, should he choose to leave Barça at end of the season.
But The Sun says City will now not match the terms set in August, and the offer was cut to £ 430 million (€ 496 million), which could open the door for Paris Saint-Germain to rush.
– The football of the sun (@TheSunFootball) February 18, 2021
– Chelsea I’ve already made contact with the extreme Jonas hofmannaccording to Bild, as the exodus from Borussia Monchengladbach threatens to begin following news that coach Marco Rose is leaving for Borussia Dortmund next season. Hofmann played for Thomas Tuchel in Dortmund.
– Milan midfielder Franck kessie is also in Tuchel’s sights, and the Blues could offer Fikayo Tomori to the Serie A giants in a permanent deal as part of a more effective player swap, Il Milanista reports.
– Everton loan Moise cain has scored 14 goals in 25 games for PSG and its parent club will not part with the Italian international for less than £ 60m, says Fabrizio Romano, while Juventus he wants to bring the forward back to Turin, according to Le 10 Sport.
Everton ‘to demand £ 70m for Moise Kean transfer’ after impressing at PSG https://t.co/3PvjhBQ1rf
– Solar sport (@SunSport) February 18, 2021
– ‘If there are opportunities, I will take a look’, is what Wilfried zaha said the Financial Times Business of Football Summit, The Sun reports. The Crystal Palace winger has previously been linked to Arsenal spirit Tottenham.
– Gunners midfielder Lucas Torreira, currently on the sidelines while on loan to Atlético de Madrid, is close to getting a signing Fiorentina for next season, says Gazzetta Dello Sport.