This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Liverpool are reportedly preparing to make wholesale changes this summer with six players leaving, including three midfielders, as Jurgen Klopp looks to reinvigorate his squad.
The Premier League champions have seen hopes of defending their crown disappear in recent weeks. Costly home losses to Burnley, Brighton and Man City mean they are now within 10 points of Pep Guardiola’s side. Given that they went the better part of four years without a loss at home, it represents a downfall for the deposed champions.
In his defense, his team has been wiped out by a series of key injuries, particularly to the heart of his baseline. The season-ending injuries to Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez have undoubtedly taken a toll on them.
Said that the daily star claims Liverpool plan to shed up to six big names this summer in an effort to reinvigorate their fortunes next season.
According to the article, Xherdan Shaqiri appears ready to move on, even though he has been given more opportunities with the first team in recent weeks.
However, it will not be the only exit in its line of attack, with Divock Origi also ready to be unloaded.
However, it is in midfield that Liverpool mainly plan to freshen things up.
First off, Liverpool could say goodbye to Naby Keita after supposedly putting him up for sale for just £ 30 million. The 26 year old He signed for the Reds amid a stir in the summer of 2018 from RB Leipzig.
Talk about him emulating Steven Gerrard’s game for the Reds soon followedSuch had been his success in the Bundesliga. However, he has never really developed his potential at Anfield.
About Keita, Klopp recently said: “It’s not a big deal. It’s a bit like with other players in the past when they came back from injuries. Then, due to the number of games and the situation in the squad, they had to play.
“Then a minor injury happened again. Now we just had to put the brakes on and say ‘let’s fix it well’.
“At the moment we have alternatives in the midfield. So we really try to give you all the time you need to get 100% fit. “
The report, quoting below Athletic, states that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is also fighting for his future at Anfield. The midfielder has made just two Premier League starts this season amid another injury-stricken campaign.
The third outing in midfield will come in the form of Gini Wijnaldum. While Liverpool still hope to tie him to a new deal, seems destined to leave for Barcelona while the clock ticks in its current arrangement.
Sign up for the free daily TEAMtalk newsletter …
The final start will come in goal with Adrian now third in the pecking order behind Alisson and Caoimhim Kelleher.
His contract expires this summer, although the Reds have the option to extend it for another year. However, it seems unlikely that they will make that option with Adrian free to move elsewhere. The Reds signed Brazilian Fluminense’s teenage goalkeeper Marcelo Pitaluga last summer. If Adrian leaves, he will likely be promoted to number 3.
Klopp looks for Mönchengladbach midfielder
Liverpool has been this week linked with Leeds winger Raphinha, which has made quite an impression since moving to the Premier League.
However, with three promoted midfield starts, reinforcing that area will be a top priority for the Reds.
Indeed, Thursday reports claimed that Borussia Monchengladbach Florian Neuhaus emerged as a primary target.
Neuhaus has a contract until 2024, which includes a 40 million euro release clause, and is happy at his current club.
However, if the Premier League champions are willing to pay the exit fee, Neuhaus could go to Merseyside.
He is a box-to-box midfielder with a decent range of technical skills, having scored four times this season. He also has four assists to his name.
The 23-year-old, who has three caps for Germany, certainly looks like an attractive option for Klopp’s summer.
READ MORE: Bruno Fernandes comments on Raphinha showing why Liverpool want Leeds star