This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Ralf Rangnick has been put in order by Jesse Lingard as his transfer headache hangs in January at Manchester United’s FA Cup showdown.
Lingard, who was the focus of attention from both West Ham and Newcastle last month, will not be in the first match left after a winter break. Earlier Thursday, Rangnick confirmed his absence from the squad to face Middlesbrough on Friday night.
The German coach said: “Jesse asked if we could give him a few days off to clear his mind. He is back in training on Monday and is part of the whole squad.”
However, the attacker has since spoken out on social media and claimed that it was the club who had suggested that he keep free.
He tweeted: “The club advised me to take time off for personal reasons!
“But my headspace is clear and I will always be professional when asked and give 100 percent.”
Lingard traveled to Dubai during the Premier League break last week. He was seen there with teammate Marcus Rashford.
Ten of the biggest deals that did not happen in the January transfer window
United’s squad returned to Manchester this week as they began preparing for their fourth round clash with Championship opposition at Old Trafford.
At that time, Lingard’s future remained in the air. Newcastle wanted to loan him, but the Red Devils’ demands were too high.
Lingard transfer saga explained
Rangnick, who reportedly gave the Englishman a clear go, also talked about what happened in his pre-match conference.
“Three weeks ago, Jesse did not want to go, so he changed his mind,” he added.
“I had a talk with him 10 days ago. And I could fully understand why he wanted to leave. To get playing time for his future and the World Cup.
“I told him that if he finds a club and the club finds a solution with our club, I would allow him to leave. So with all the development, things changed.
“We also had no deal with any other club. So we had to make a final decision as a board and keep Jesse until the end of the season.”
Rangnick faces further problems
Meanwhile, another transfer decision from United in January has come into focus after the hired Axel Tuanzebe was left out of Napoli’s Europa League squad.
Tuanzebe recently joined the Italian side after his third loan spell at Aston Villa ended abruptly. Following the appointment of Steven Gerrard in the middle of the season, the defender did not get the same playing time he enjoyed earlier under Dean Smith.
Cup match for the FA Cup: Everton one of the biggest losers after the January transfer window
Napoli managed to lure him abroad for the first time in his career. They signed him on a dry loan until the end of the season.
But as per Gazzetta Dello SportThe Serie A club have not included their new boy on their squad for the knockout stage of the Europa League.
They face Barcelona this month in a two-legged draw in the play-offs for a place in the quarter-finals. But Tuanzebe is not getting involved for technical reasons.
His absence could have been due to back problems that have plagued him recently. But that’s not the whole story.
In fact, Napoli coach Luciano Spalletti has given his approval to the decision to leave Tuanzebe. He feels there are better suited options at both center and right back.
READ MORE: Pochettino for Man Utd ramps up with double updating to seal Rangnick’s fate