Premier League issues official response to calls to pause season

This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”


The Premier League has announced that it has “no plans” to pause the season and “continues to rely on its Covid-19 protocols to allow matches to be played as scheduled.”

Wednesday night’s game between Tottenham and Fulham postponed after a coronavirus outbreak at the West London club.

The Cottagers yielded a string of positive test results on Tuesday, and after more arrived on Wednesday, the Premier League decided to call off the game less than three hours before the scheduled 6 p.m. kickoff.

It becomes the third high-level game to be eliminated by the virus, following Newcastle’s match with Aston Villa earlier this month and Monday’s match between Everton and Manchester City.

Despite some calls including West Brom’s new manager, Sam Allardyce – For a “circuit breaker” on accessories to help address the rapidly developing situation across the country, the competition will continue as planned.

A statement from the Premier League said: “The Premier League has not discussed pausing the season and has no plans to do so.

“The League continues to rely on its COVID-19 protocols to allow games to be played as scheduled, and these protocols continue to have the full backing of the Government.

“With the health of the players and staff as a priority, the League also fully supports the way the clubs are implementing the protocols and rules.”

It is understood that the Spurs are unhappy with the decision and the timing of it. There had been speculation throughout the day that the game could be canceled and coach José Mourinho indicated his frustration in an Instagram post shortly after 2 p.m.

Mourinho posted on his account a video of his squad waiting for news with a message that said: “We still don’t know if we play. The best league of the world “.

The video was shot at 2.02pm, something the Portuguese made clear by showing the time in the corner of a television screen in the room.

The Premier League said the postponement followed a board meeting after Fulham submitted a request to reorganize the match “following a significant increase in positive Covid-19 cases, as well as a number of players showing symptoms ( on Wednesday)”.

After consulting medical advisers, the decision to postpone the match was “taken as a precaution and with the health of the players and staff as a priority.”

Fulham said players and staff who tested positive have been self-isolating “in accordance with UK government and Premier League guidelines”, and that the group will be re-evaluated.

Prem records the most seasonal cases

The Premier League had announced on Tuesday that there had been 18 positive tests, the maximum of the season. in the last round of testing in the clubs.

Fulham confirmed that the postponement came after “a number of club players and first team personnel obtained positive results from the most recent Covid-19 tests this week.”

He added: “This decision follows discussions with the Premier League and advice from Public Health England.

“Players and staff who tested positive have self-isolated in accordance with UK government and Premier League guidelines.

“We wish the players and staff who tested positive a quick and safe recovery.”

READ MORE: Solskjaer disagrees with Allardyce on the Premier League circuit breaker




Source link

%d bloggers like this: