Pirlo on Juventus’ tough home loss: if you start with the wrong attitude, this can happen

This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”


Andrea Pirlo refused to blame the firing of Juan Cuadrado for Juventus’ big loss at home to Fiorentina, instead questioning the attitude of his players heading into the match.

Juve suffered their first Serie A loss to Pirlo in his thirteenth league game in office, losing 3-0 in what was also their biggest loss since moving to Allianz Stadium in 2011.

Cuadrado caught Gaetano Castrovilli on the shin and received a red card in his 200th appearance with the Turin giants, improved from a yellow card after a VAR control, with just 18 minutes left on the clock.

Dusan Vlahovic had given Fiorentina an early lead at the time and Juve were unable to respond, conceding again via Alex Sandro’s own goal and Martín Cáceres’ touch.

Juve had a pair of rejected penalty appeals in Tuesday’s game, the last of 2020, but Pirlo admitted that his team simply didn’t show up.

“What happened with the red card cannot be used as an alibi,” he told Sky Sport Italia. “The result was not due to the attitude of Fiorentina, but to the lack of ours.

“When this is the case, you face bad situations like this. In games before Christmas it can happen that you have your mind set on the holidays. We were out of focus and couldn’t recover.

“The images of the expulsion seem clear to me. There could have been some decisions in our favor, but that’s not something I want to comment on, you can see for yourself.

Juve had more possession than Fiorentina (54 percent) and more shots (13-10), but eventually saw a 13-game unbeaten streak that came to an eerie halt.

Leonardo Bonucci in particular struggled – the experienced defender was possibly to blame for the three opposition goals.

He lost possession six times in total and won only half of his 10 games, but Pirlo was by his boss’s side at full time.

“Everyone has bad nights like these,” he said. “So far he has done great performances.

“It happens to everyone. He is our captain and we still have a lot of faith in him.”

Juve suffered something of a title double blow on Tuesday, this loss to Fiorentina came hours after Napoli won their appeal against the abandoned October match between the teams.

The Bianconeri had earned a 3-0 victory after Napoli failed to show due to a travel ban imposed by local authorities after Piotr Zielinski, Eljif Elmas and a staff member tested positive for COVID-19.

But the Collegio di Garanzia dello Sport of the Italian National Olympic Committee, the country’s highest sports authority, ruled in favor of Napoli, meaning the game must be replayed in early 2021.

Therefore, Juve is three points worse, now seven adrift from leader Milan, and Pirlo questioned the fairness of the decision.

“We don’t mind playing again. I am more disappointed by the other teams that have traveled and played without many more players that had COVID, ”he said. “In any case, they showed great impartiality when playing.

“I will not say if the decision was correct or not, but it did not seem fair to the other teams that continued and played in more difficult situations.”




Source link

News

Dessers scores, Onuachu bags help Genk demolish Royal Antwerp

This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.” Nigeria’s internationals delivered spectacular performances as the Blue and Whites delivered a tough defeat to Franky Vercauteren’s men Cyriel Dessers found the back of the net, while Paul Onuachu provided an assist for Genk to secure a 4-0 win over Royal […]

Read More
News

Eni Aluko’s appointment shows NWSL strength after difficult year

This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.” New Angel City FC Sporting Director Eniola Aluko has admitted that the idea of ​​being able to build a team entirely from scratch was part of her decision to step down as Sporting Director on the Aston Villa women’s team. Speaking […]

Read More
News

Contact made when Man United targeted Southampton’s Danny Ings

This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.” By Conor Laird Published: May 20, 2021 7:30 p.m. Last update: May 20, 2021 7:34 pm Manchester United are considering a summer raid for Southampton standout Danny Ings, according to reports. Featured saints The prolific hitman Ings, of course, has enjoyed […]

Read More