This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Chelsea have not made a formal offer to Jules Kounde since Wednesday and there have been no negotiations since Friday, according to Sevilla’s sporting director Monchi.
Kounde is reportedly a target for Thomas Tuchel’s men, with Manchester City previously said to be interested, and the center-back was left out of the trip to Elche on Saturday.
However, Monchi stated at a press conference on Tuesday that the LaLiga clothes have not been heard from Chelsea since Friday, when their last formal offer was submitted two days before.
“The only possibility is that they [Chelsea] pay the clause, ”Monchi said. “It is € 80 million euros. There has been interest from many teams, most rejected by the player himself.
“The footballer liked Chelsea. The first offer we received from Chelsea. It was last Wednesday, at five o’clock, with an amount that did not meet what we wanted.
“It was important that we did not underestimate the amounts. I had already talked to the player to tell him that the longer the time passed, the more difficult the operation.
“We responded with a counter-offer to Chelsea and since Friday night there have been no further negotiations.”
When comparing Kounde with Chelsea midfielders across their respective domestic leagues last term, Sevilla’s defender placed first on key figures (15).
Only Antonio Rudiger made more tackles than Kounde (31 to 27), while none of the Blues could top the 22-year-old’s 40 interceptions, 100 clearances or 102 air duels won.
However, Kurt Zouma, Thiago Silva and Andreas Christensen all boasted better delivery accuracy than Kounde’s 90.11 percent.
We have not spoken to Chelsea since Friday night. We all decided it was best Jules did not travel to Elche. It is normal for players to be affected by news of any kind. Last year he had the interest from City and now Chelsea this year.#DeadlineDay pic.twitter.com/AtJRXlIi8b
– Sevilla FC (@SevillaFC_ENG) August 31, 2021
Speculation continues, but Monchi remains confident of retaining his defender.
“I do not think anyone will pay for it [the release clause], but there is time to react, ”continued the Sevilla boss.
“The decision not to travel to Elche was made jointly by all parties.
“We asked him if he was 100 percent willing to travel, he thought about it and then said yes. But we made that decision.
“Jules is not a superhero, even though he is a great guy or a great professional. It is normal for the player to be in doubt. He did not go on holiday, he concentrates on France. ”