This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Jesse Lingard looks set to stay at Manchester United this summer after the club decided to let the playmaker stay and fight for his place.
West ham has been tipped to make another move for the English midfielder all summer, after Lingard enjoyed a very productive loan period with Hammers last season. The 28-year-old scored nine goals in 16 Premier League games for David Moyes’ men.
But according to Sky Sports News ” Dharmesh Sheth, United are happy that the player stays and fights for a place on Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s side.
Sheth said: “Man United are happy that Lingard will stay at Old Trafford and stay and fight for his place.
“Solskjær has been very consistent in what he has said about him – ‘he is part of my plans, he can play a big role for Man United this season’. He said if it were not for Covid, Lingard would have started the first Premier League match against Leeds.
“He was an unused substitute yesterday, which made tongues swing again. Does that mean he could be on his way again?
“For Lingard, his priority all summer was to stay at Old Trafford. We know West Ham have been long-term fans. Why would they not be after how well he did in the second half of last season.
“David Moyes has said that if Man United allowed Lingard to leave, we would definitely be interested in him.
“As it looks, however, it looks like he will stay. But if there is a late offer on Deadline Day, they would discuss it with Lingard and a collective decision would be made on what is best for the player. ”
Seven of the most dramatic deadlines from Odemwingie to a faulty fax machine
Uruguay cancels Cavani calls
Meanwhile, Edinson Cavani will remain available for Manchester United next month after Uruguay canceled its call-up to the World Cup qualifiers in September.
The Premier League announced last week that the clubs would not release players for international duty, which entailed travel to countries subject to the UK government ‘red list’ coronavirus restrictions. Uruguay is on that list, which would mean Cavani would have to quarantine at a hotel approved by the government for 10 days when he returns to the UK.
However, the Uruguayan federation confirmed on Sunday that Cavani would no longer be called up for the matches against Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador. They were previously hopeful of having center-forward for these matches.
Instead, he will continue working with Man Utd during the international break. He should then be available for selection in their subsequent games. Their first match after the break is at home to Newcastle on 11 September.
Aston Villa announced on Sunday that their calls for Argentina – Emi Martinez and Emi Buendia – would be released for the country’s first two qualifiers during the September break. But they would miss the last one against Bolivia.
READ MORE: Varane outlines Prem differences after Man Utd debut; enjoys Ronaldo reunion