This post contains affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
The veteran striker will not connect with his country for their next set of matches against Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador
Edinson Cavani will stay at Manchester United during the international break after Uruguay announced their decision to cancel his call-up to their upcoming World Cup qualifier.
All 20 clubs in the Premier League unanimously agreed last week not to release players for the latest set of international matches if they were staged in the UK’s ‘red list’ countries.
Most of South America has been marked on the coronavirus itinerary, meaning that all players who still decided to play for their country would be quarantined for 10 days when they returned to England.
Cavani was originally included in Oscar Tabarez’s last Uruguay squad for their Qatar World Cup 2022 qualifiers against Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador in early September.
Had the 34-year-old connected to his country as planned, he would have been forced to miss two matches in Premier League United’s third round of the Carabao Cup match against West Ham and their Champions League group stage opener against Young Boys.
Ole Gunnar Solskjær addressed the situation before his side’s latest outing in Wolves on Sunday and insisted that both Cavani and the Brazilian midfielder Fred should prioritize their club responsibilities.
“It’s a fact that if you have to have 10 days in a hotel quarantine without the opportunity to work out, no chance of keeping your fitness up, then you have to spend another 10-14 days to get back to fitness again, and then can you I must fly again, he said.
“I do not want to be the moaning, but if there was a choice for me, to play for Norway or play for Man United, I know who my employer is. Yes, it’s my country, but the rules are as they are. moment. Anyway, I’m not a player anymore. “
What has been said?
Uruguay have now officially withdrawn their call for Cavani, meaning he will continue regular training with the Red Devils over the next two weeks instead of traveling to South America.
A statement from the Uruguayan Football Federation reads: “According to the situation that has arisen for players from England, the Uruguayan Football Federation has decided to cancel the call for Edinson Cavani.”
Which Premier League players are going to South America?
Tottenham duo Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero are still ready to join Argentina’s latest squad despite advice from the Premier League.
Spurs head coach Nuno Espirito Santo has admitted they can not prevent them from leaving due to a lack of support from FIFA and officials, as Aston Villa are back in a similar situation.
Villa goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez and summer signing Emiliano Buendia will also be available for Argentina’s World Cup qualifiers, but they have at least been given formal permission to travel by their club.